Friday, April 12, 2013

The Games we used to play...

In the age where kids, even those aged 3-4 yrs, can play games on laptops, iPads n play stations with so much ease, I think of the days when i was a kid...
Happy, Carefree, Silly :) n oh yes Imaginative!! Sigh...Nostalgic...

So many outdoor games...never getting tired of the crazy fun times we used to have with our friends.

Hide and Seek was one of the most popular outdoor game (indoor as well...if you consider, me hiding while my mom searching desperately for me during meal times to feed me, as one). I've played this for ages, up untill 9th standard if i can remember correctly!!

Just a simple game of Pakdam Pakdai was also a lot of fun with a group of friends, huffing and puffing and trying to dodge the catcher. Another version of the same was Chain-Chain...we certainly knew how to manage a human chain :)

Kho-Kho and Kabaddi were again two personal favourites. I remember once while playing a friend's tunic or shirt was torn...so fierce..err...or should i say so spirited we were!!

For us girls, doll play was a serious business... :) where our Barbie dressed up and went for High Tea or dinner dates with Ken!! Remember this song from AQUA....?? I also danced on this song with my sister during a colony function...imagine!!

"I'm a barbie girl, in the barbie world
Life in plastic, it's fantastic!
you can brush my hair, and dress me everywhere
Imagination, life is your creation"
  

Then there were the hand clapping games, played as a duo ending with one of us in 'Statue'                  Do you remember how the rhymes went.....


Uma Joshi, yay yay yay
My mother she told me, sixty years ago
There came an old man knocking at the door
With an ooh aah
I want some pah (pie)
The pie is sweet
i want some meat
The meat is rough
I want to go by bus
The bus is full
I want to ride a bull
The bull is fat
I want my money back
The money is green
I want some cherry beans
The cherry is red
I want to go to bed
The bed is  - white...I want to say good night...
                 - yellow...You're a dirty fellow
                    green -  You're a fairy queen


Ham Cheese Ham Burger
Sauce potato chip chip chip 
Sauce potato chip chip chip
Cream Roll Mutton Roll Chicken Roll Ham

Remember how we used to decide teams or the denner/catcher

In Pin safety-pin
In pin out...khelna hai toh khelo....varna get out!

Inky Pinky Ponky
Father had a donkey
Donkey died, Father cried
Inky Pinky Ponky

I'm literally rolling on the floor laughing....I think i'll just go and play a game with my sister and relive the good old days!!

If you guys remember any such games or any childhood silliness...do share!!





                                           

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. @Jahid True!! Wht kind of games did u play in ur childhood?? The crazier the better!! ;)

      Delete
  2. The post made me nostalgic...
    I remember ringa ringa roses....and Poshampa bhai Poshampa

    Hey, remember we met at the end of the Indi-meet...
    manjulikapramod.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Manjulika thnks fr visitin my blog
    Sweet old carefree times...

    sure i remembr u...the two of us waitin fr our beloved spouses....it was great meetin wid u n will catch up soon, hopefully at d nxt meet!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nostalgic ! I remember changing my tshirt to fool my friend in hide n seek ;)
    the way kids enjoy outdoor games is completely different now, it's more of a 'school' activity
    To add even the cartoons we had in our times, Duck Tales, Tale Spin, Captain Planet, Swat Kats, and behold Shaktiman (psst .. huge fan !) Amazing
    My niece of 5 year old, barely can speak properly, she has a 'password lock' on her 'iPad' ! I skipped 3 meals to get myself a new cricket bat ! ~ Evolution ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. N evolution at such a fast pace...I dislike!! Our times were better!! N super thanks for reminding us of the cartoons :) I remember how we used to shut everything n be glued to the TV sets for that Disney hour show!!

      Delete